Welcome to Caregiver Cast on episode 71! Join Mary Elaine as she discusses the critical issues of senior with Linda McDougal, a licensed massage therapist specializing in aging and disabled care. In her book ” The Spirit Method of Massage for Seniors: Raising the Bar”, Linda shares her experiences of physical harm caused by incorrectly fitted mobility devices and highlights unaddressed needs in senior care. Listen in as Linda emphasizes the importance of working with seniors and providing them with the care they need and the urgent need for advocacy and change in the senior living system. Take advantage of this insightful conversation on the pressing issues facing seniors today!
Outline of the episode:
· Providing support and resources to busy caregivers through expert interviews covering various topics
· Linda shares her insights and experiences on the neglect of senior care needs and provides examples of physical and postural damage
· Issues with mobility devices in senior care, including lack of proper support and misuse of devices, leading to physical deterioration and health problems for seniors
· Issues with senior care and nursing homes, including lack of attention to seniors’ needs, poor nutrition, and overmedication
· The importance of diet and nutrition for seniors
· Many more!
About Linda Mac Dougall:
Linda got her M.A. in Counseling Psychology because she sought answers to family dysfunction. She already had a background of working with the developmentally disabled population since high school. She went on to be an administrator of two group homes for United Cerebral Palsy for over a decade. Following her ex-husband’s career, she then moved to Hawaii and became a Federal advocate for the state of Hawaii’s families dealing with their population of developmentally disabled. Her work there brought change to the system in the way of studies, and a medical review board and the state guardians began to imitate her way of questioning and challenging the way things had always been done.
Today her focus has changed to the older adult population. She is a senior health advocate, massage therapist, holistic health practitioner, and management consultant for caregiving situations. As a senior herself, Linda is also an advocate for change in the old living space. Her background and focus on awareness led to the writing of her book “The SPIRIT Method of Massage for Seniors: Raising the Bar…A Primer for Massage Therapists and Caregivers”.
Catch Linda Mac Dougall on…
Visit Mary Elaine on…
Connect with Caregiver cast Podcast…